Monday, February 22, 2010
This might have been the most stubborn part so far. The carb roundslide was completely glued in with old fuel. It took a few hours of chemicals, hot water and gentle coaxing with a tooth brush handle to free the slide. Then every removable part was removed, cleaned and polished and oiled with synthetic motor oil. The barrel and roundslide now have a mirror finish. I ordered a complete rebuild kit that includes, air screw, needle, both jets, float needle and seat, and all gaskets. Good times. I'm excited for that kit to arrive.
I think this is as far as I am going to take the tear down this year. After I get it clean It will be time to bolt on lots of new shiny parts. I have ordered a swing arm bearing rebuild kit. The steering bearings feel fine. Right now its time to scrub scrub scrub and paint in the rusty spots with some gloss black Tremclad.
I got the fork tubes out of the triple. The tops of the tubes had some rust pits, I cleaned them off with some 00 steal wool. There are slight pits left behind and I am a bit worried they may wear the new seals out quickly. There was about an ounce of water mixed in the oil of each tube. I drained both of them. I don't think I am going to be able to free the hex bolt at the bottom without a fork tool.
My Cousin's husband got this 1976 Yamaha XT 500 and asked if I would be interested in getting it running. As if! This is a classic enduro thumper, what a cool project. Its February 2010. That means I have until May to get it ready to take back up North. I think the biggest challenge will be getting all the proper MTO stuff done. I plan on retaining as much of the original finish as possible. Mostly I will be cleaning, chasing threads, lubricating everything, replacing bearings, chain, tires, cables, and any other broken or missing parts. I will paint rusting areas of the frame. For the most part these are areas you can not see. I will rebuild both brakes, all electrics, ignition, suspension, and the carburetor. I am not planning on cracking the head or engine cases at this time. I figure I can set up the valves and get some clean oil through it a couple times and assess from there. Hopefully the clutch plates are not seized. If it burns oil I will rebuild the engine.
It came missing a couple dirt bike classics. Right side panel, airbox, and the headlight w headlight trim. Ebay here I come.